Saturday, May 31, 2008

lifting up or tearing down?


Did you ever stop to think the words that you utter can bring a person up or it can tear them down. Remember the Bible Verse you learned in Sunday School?

“Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.”

—1 Thessalonians 5:11

It is much harder to look for the positive, and build each other up I think. Often we get carried away by daily tasks and what has to be done.

There were protesters in our small city today. I realize they have a right to free speech and it did turn into a good lesson for the kids. The kids really thought it funny that they were protesting war and soldiers when it was and is our soldiers who fight to keep our freedom of free speech. But I wonder how much further they could take their message if they lifted others up rather than tearing them down.

I think of my kids too. Often I am correcting them about something that was not put away or a chore not done. I must make a sincere effort to praise the things they are doing right.

We need people in our lives to encourage us and we need to encourage the people in our lives. Often times we can see something special in someone that they themselves cannot see.

I am truly blessed, I was feeling really discouraged and friends reminded me of my talents and even what I could learn from my failures.

Funny that word Courage slipped in the middle of the word encourage. It does sometimes take courage to lift another up. But even more important, by encouraging another person you give them courage!

Share the courage!

1 comment:

Jay Popat said...

We need you too :) .

I liked your blog and work. I also mutual thoughts and feelings.

Love and Regards

Jay Popat
http://soulwithbody.blogspot.com